Imagine if you will, that you have just finished the Diploma in Hypnotherapy; you have your Diploma, the knowledge, skills, experience, professional registration, and insurance. What next? How do you get clients to come to you?
A hypnotherapist can possess all the skills, knowledge and ability in the work, but without knowing how to get paying clients, their career will be a short one.
Sadly, some 85% of all UK start-up hypnotherapists are out of the field within a year because they do not have the clients to make it pay. Many of the remaining 15% are ‘reinventing the wheel’ -finding out what does and does not work through trial and error. That method is long, frustrating and usually very costly. We aim to reverse these statistics and so far, seem to be doing very well, providing ongoing support in the form of continued professional development (CPD), mentoring, peer to peer support 1-2-1 help & advice and supervision.
Besides field knowledge, you need to know how to build a successful one-to-one hypnotherapy practice and how not to become a victim of your success.
The more efficient you become in enabling your clients to achieve their goals, the quicker you lose them. Enabling someone to stop smoking, lose weight or overcome a phobia in three sessions is an achievement, but you will have to go out there and promote yourself to a new set of potential clients.
It is estimated that it takes at least five times as much effort and cost to acquire and sell to a new customer than it does to an existing customer. That gives us a problem because we are permanently putting ourselves out of work every time we help a client find a resolution to their problems
Successful hypnotherapists possess nothing that you do not already have within yourself.
Just like many other businesses, starting off by committing large sums of money to your business can be counterproductive. New hypnotherapists that possess significant capital are often tempted to pour that into the black hole of paid advertising rather than committing to proven methods. This can be good if you get the right person but very costly if you get the wrong one – trust me, I’ve done it!
Hard work takes time to pay off but costs little in terms of financial outlay.
These areas can include but are not limited to:
- Producing and selling your information products such as downloads, books & audio tracks
- Hosting self-hypnosis workshops on areas such as weight control, emotional wellbeing & past life regression
- Talking at social events where you can sell products and workshop places
- Provide private corporate training to companies in areas such as stress management and smoking cessation
These extensions bring in vital revenue, increased awareness of your business and result in a steady stream of potential one-to-one clients.
Hypnotherapists who are consistently doing these spin-off activities enjoy a much higher income and have more one-to-one clients than those who restrict themselves to individual sessions.
When you go beyond the individual sessions and start producing your products and events, it does take considerable work to reach those that will benefit. Knowing the steps to take to achieve success and ensuring that you gain the maximum financial return is vital.